SBMA to open 112 summer-job slots to deserving poor students
Posted 4 years ago
A total of 112 deserving poor students stand to benefit from the Summer Hire Program of the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) during this summer break, as business locators in the Subic Bay Freeport extended their support to provide employment.
SBMA Chairperson and Administrator Wilma T. Eisma said that 15 Subic-registered companies have already joined the program to accommodate students from junior and senior high school, as well as college level, who are scheduled to be deployed in various job assignments starting April.
Eisma added that a total of 112 slots will be given to students who pass the qualification requirements under the program being implemented by the SBMA Labor Department in line with the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) of the Department of Labor and Employment.
“These applicants are poor but deserving students who excel in their classes. And as part of our community engagement, it is our task to guarantee that they will be able to enroll the next school year,” Eisma explained.
“These talented and brilliant students deserve our malasakit,” she added.
She noted that more business locators and investors are now expressing their intention to join the program. “I really hope that more students will be hired,” Eisma said.
SPES was created under Republic Act 7323, a law which aims to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations. The law was later amended by RA 9547.
SBMA Labor Department manager Severo Pastor Jr. explained that under the law, summer hires are to be employed from 20 to 50 working days and shall receive regular wages equivalent to those received by regular employees.
“Of this, 60% shall be paid by the employer-company, while the remaining 40% shall be paid by the DOLE through educational vouchers,” Pastor said.
Under the SPES program, the work period accumulated by summer hires may also be counted as their probationary period should they apply for a job in the same company or agency after graduation, and should earn academic credits as may be determined by the appropriate government agencies.
Among the companies participating in the SBMA’s Summer Hire program are fast-food restaurants, gasoline stations, utilities, and manufacturing firms where the students will perform work related to their respective courses. (RAV/MPD-SBMA)